Marketplace Registration Redesign
Registration Revision, V2
We revised the existing marketplace registration form, reducing friction and optimizing for mobile with the goal to increase the registration completion rate across platforms. As the design lead, I worked with the Head of Product and the Marketplace Growth Engineering Team (June, 2016).
Based on user research, we saw that the current modal was triggered too early. New users were prompted with the popup before they were able to engage with the site, and the lack of a strong value prop did not help to communicate what would be exchanged in return for giving up their personal information. Additionally, we were requiring 5 fields to be completed on the initial interaction with redundant email confirmation fields and an additional checkbox section.
Reg Modal, v1 PROBLEMs
The initial registration modal was overwhelming and not optimized for mobile
- Modal larger than many mobile viewports
- Distracting placeholder text within input fields
- 5 input fields and checkbox section in first interaction, too much cognitive overhead
- Logo & value distracted from form elements
- Value proposition in red text appeared to be an error message
Reg Modal, v2 Results
Revised UX and redesigned a progressive registration process, minimized the amount of inputs, made social login prominent, streamlined the UI and optimized for mobile.
- Increased registration completion by 22.4%
- Increased profession selection by 24.5%
- Increased Facebook signups to 57.2%
Registration Revision, V3
As the Product Design lead, I worked with our Product Manager to streamline our registration process even further, reducing the initial input to one field, as well as introducing the ability to log in with Google. The updated flow expands on the progressive registration pattern by requiring only an email address as the initial input. After testing this flow on checkout, we saw a 16.8% increase from registration to checkout order success (Nov, 2016).
- Social Login:
- Users have the ability to login/register with Facebook or Google
- If existing account, user is logged in
- If new account, user is prompted to select profession as the last step
- Email Entry: Registered Users
- If the email belongs to a registered user, they will be prompted to enter their password
- Email Entry: Unregistered Users
- If the email has not been registered, the user will be prompted to create a password and enter their full name to create an account
- Following account creation, the user is prompted to select their profession as the last step
Pop up alternatives
In an effort to move away from the standard pop-up registration modal, we explored alternatives to test, including a bottom panel with CTA and a popover encouraging users to click on the [ Sign Up / Log In ] header text. Instead of prompting a modal, the user is taken to a standalone page with the embedded registration form. This is currently being A/B tested.